SteamAlerts was started out the simple scratch-an-itch desire to have a way to be notified when prices for items in the Steam Store dropped below the "I'm willing to pay X" threshold.
I run no ads, nor make no money from this site. I don't do anything with your email address other then send you price drop notifications. I do not plan on changing those things. Perhaps, someday Valve will pickup on this missing feature from their store system and this site will go by the way side.
2013-06-02 - Enhanced Search
- Added "Lowest Price" on the managment watches page. c/o: Shak
- Search will now find 3 letter games and the search results order will highlight games in a more sensible manner. Thanks for the note about the issue, David!
2013-05-01 - Email Delivery
- Switched to SendGrid for email deliverability.
- Removed Yahoo.com email restriction.
2013-03-23 - Brazil!
- Now tracking steam prices in R$ for Brazil.
2013-01-31 - "Now Available" Resolution
- Scraper updated to more reliably track game price -- should resolve issues like "Doom II" showing up as "Now Available!" on the homepage after a few days.
2013-01-26 - Reliability & Email
- Updated steam scraper to be more reliable and verbose. (Trying to track down why items are showing up as "now available" when they've been on market forever.) More reliable scraper open sourced at github/RollingCurl
- Added warning about yahoo email addresses.
Yahoo's email servers absolutely refuse to accept emails from my server despite SPF records and DKIM signing. I tried to appeal to no avail, sorry folks.
2012-11-21 - Improve Homepage Load Times
- Updated homepage to load faster (process images in background).
- Limited homepage showing only 100 Games (no DLC/GUIDES/PACKS)
- Improved styling for different widths of browser
2012-09-03 - Mover servers; improved performance; Free/Coming-Soon title tracking
- Site now tracks free items
- Site now tracks "coming soon" items allowing you to set your watch prices even before the game is out
- Migrated to a new server host (nginx+php-fpm, updated mysql)
- Reduced history storage table from 100,000,000 entries (eating up 10GB of space) to about 150,000 entries in a whopping 8MB of space -- no data loss (just deduplication)
- Removed social features footer (fb/twitter/g+ extra scripts just killed load times for little gain -- after all, you came here to get price drop emails, not share links on facetweet+ right?)
- Revamped the homepage to show all the latest changes in chronological order
- Homepage only shows new items or items with price drops
- Emails are now SPF protected and DKIM signed -- hopefully this means less spam flags and better deliverability
2011-06-01 - Approximate first release date
- Game list
- Game search
- Set watches
- Manage watches